Re: trunnion link

To: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trunnion link
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 08:21:48 -0500
Theoretically, holes CAN get smaller with wear, at least in places.  If
there is space between the wall of the hole and the shaft of the bolt
just under the nut/washer or bolt head/washer, sufficient pressure along
the axis of the bolt (pressing the nut against the part the bolt passes
through) and wear can displace metal from the wall of the hole into that
space, creating something like what you describe.

I've never seen it happen on a trunnion, but it's theoretically
posssible in a generic situation.

Chris Kotting
ckotting@iwaynet.net