Re: Disk Brake Conversion

To: Bob Brown <rcbrown@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Disk Brake Conversion
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 13:28:47 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Bob Brown wrote:

> So obviously, the correct installation is steering arm angled away
> from the axle. But now the tie-rod ends are way out of position. Also,
> the steering arm ends from the "parts Midget"  do not fit the tie-rods
> on the Bugeye.

Bob

The steering arms point towards the wheel, they ride inside the rim.
You may have the trunions on backwards, a common mistake because of the
way things appear. The knob of the trunion (part with the rubber
bushings) points towards the wheel too.
Make sure the arms and trunion are correct.
As for the difference in tierod ends and steering arms, If toy have the
originals, just use them. Spridgets used 3 different sized holes in the
arms that I know of. Or maybe just 2 but they went from a larger hole to
a smaller hole and back to the larger hole thru the years.
The arms are the same, the steering racks did have 2 different diameter
threads where the tie rods attached to it. This and the 3 different
steering arm holes can make for a big mess.
Fortunatly, everything is interchangable except drum/disc swivel axles.
So if you have your original steering arms, use them on the disc set up.
I think your problem with the 6" space from arm to tierod end is a
backwards trunion bushing.
Been there more then once myself.

Good luck
--