Re: radiators

To: Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>, Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: radiators
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 20:14:04 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
> I believe Ron figured out that both rads cooled the
> same. I know he sent
> all kinds of figures to the list when this subject
> came up last month.

He did not!  I don't have a xflow, never have, never
needed it even in Florida during the summer with a
hot-tuned 1275.  What I said was that there is no
inherent difference between the designs, and that
today's manufacturer's went to crossflow for the lower
profile needed in today's designs, and ease of
increasing surface area.  In a downflow, to keep the
same total height AND increase area, you have to
change headers and the core, and that costs $.  For a
xflow, you can get away with just changing the core.
>From the chief dude at Harrison, a huge supplier of
radiators, he said if there is a cost difference of
more than a few cents, the car companies get real
worried.  He did say fan/shroud design was extremely
important - see the archives - search for the term
"shah" in the body of the post and you'll find the
original email - that was the teacher's name of the
class I went to that got into downflow vs. xflow.  I
gotta go, or I'd dig it up me-self.

=====
Ron Soave
"Here we are now, entertain us!"