Re: radiators

To: "Jeff Boatright" <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: radiators
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 21:26:09 -0800charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Jeff,  I have both a crossflow (in the car now) and downflow (gathering
dust), both have new high efficiency Z-fin cores instead of the stock
continuous fin cores.   No real big difference in cooling except the
crossflow boils over at a higher temp because of the 12 psi cap instead of 7
psi.
        I have two of the crossover pipes and neither one has a drain plug
on it.  If they did how would you ever get to it?  You should have a block
drain on the rear left side of the engine (948,1098 have a brass one with a
lever on it),  I use a funnel with some hose on it to drain it and then pull
the lower hose.  Next time it comes out I'll put a drain on the lower right
tank.  The shroud on the downflow as you stated is only on three sides (not
really very good) and the crossflow doesn't need one because it is much
closer to the fan.
        If the crossflow core is good use it and if not, recore the one that
cost less.  That should be the crossflow as it is smaller.  Have them put a
drain plug on it (most room to get to it is on the right side side).
        I guess with the mods to your tanks you can use the stock downflow
hoses, but might have to shorten them a bit.  But check because the
crossflow sits higher and futher back than the downflow so you may need a
combo of different hoses to make it work.  good luck
        Crash