RE: A wierd one for ya... (Chock full o' LBC)

To: cartman@dnai.com, gearyg@email.com
Subject: RE: A wierd one for ya... (Chock full o' LBC)
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 09:19:59 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
When I had my bugeye done, the body shop I used had the entire body dipped in a
stripping tank, so the complete shell was stripped to bare metal. However,
after
having this done, I don't know if I would recommend this to everyone. The
problem is that the stripping chemicals get into every crack and crevice and
spot welds, and don't necessarily get 'rinsed out' completely after the
process.
I noticed afterwards, that the areas around seams and such started to form
rust,
which don't get addressed during the repainting process. I did a very through
treatment of 'waxoyl' to address these areas, but I am still finding places
that
I missed.
If you body is in reasonably good condition, I would recommend you look into
have the exterior of the car abrasive blasted. I had a gotten a couple quotes
on
this, and now in retrospect, the price was pretty reasonable. If you have a lot
of time on your hands, you can also try stripping the outside yourself, using a
chemical 'aircraft' stripper.While this works pretty well, it can be quite
messy, and the chemicals are pretty 'toxic', and should be done 'outside'.
Also, if you are looking to preserve any original 'factory' crayon marks on the
body, a body dip is NOT and option.

Regards - Bryan (59-bugeye)
San Jose, CA