Re: what type Re: Electronic Ignition dizzy

To: <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: what type Re: Electronic Ignition dizzy
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 18:15:23 -0800
Cc: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
OK, summary time, (those of you running points and condensers, may hit
delete if so desired.)
The 1500 through '78 came with a 45DE distributor.  This has a plastic ring
on the distributor shaft under the rotor with magnets imbedded in it and an
ignition amplifier module imbedded in plastic and mounted on the side of the
distributor intregal to the vacuum advance/retard.

In 1979 1500's and 79-80 MGB's, and on many cars repaired by BL service
centers due to failure of the 45DE modules, have a 45DM distributor. They
have a metal round thing with four spikes on them slipped on the distributor
shaft under the rotor.  These spikes are the magnets.  These use a remote
ignition amplifier module model AB14 that contains the GM module I've
mentioned in previous posts.

Allison electronic Ignition kits (early) and Crane (later) conversion kits
(one in the same, Crane bought out Allison Ignitions) use an optical sensor
activated by a plastic disc with 4 cutouts that slips on the distributor
shaft under the rotor and spins between the two optical sensors.  The
plastic disc is what we are calling a chopper.  This kit also utilizes a
remote Amplifier.

The 45DE module fails due to excess heat in the engine compartment.  They
are frequently upfitted to Allison/Crane units, which are also highly
susceptible to excess heat and moisture.  The benefit of this upfit is that
Crane is still servicing the unit, and has (had?) a lifetime warrantee.  I
have seen some people mount the Crane Amplifier inside the passenger
compartment of the car to get it as far away from potential heat and
moisture sources as possible.

An ignition module that is going bad may misfire at high Rpm's, or the car
will die unexpectedly, often with a loud backfire, and tach drops to zero
and stays there dispite turning the engine over, and then suddenly bounces
backup and runs fine again for a while.  My wife got a new Honda after our
MGB stranded her for the eighth time while I figured this one out.

As is everything on the list this should be considered for entertainment
purposes only, yada, yada, yada.  Persons more knowledgeable about this
subject than me may feel free to put me politely in my rightful place.
David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget
63 Falcon