Re: what type Re: Electronic Ignition dizzy

To: "David Riker" <davidr@sunset.net>
Subject: Re: what type Re: Electronic Ignition dizzy
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 08:56:54 -0600
Cc: "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
David,
        Excellent summation. I have a few additions. This was not only true on
MGs, but also TR7 and Spitfires, and Jags. I have a dim memory that the new
"brain" boxes were made in the US... Judson maybe? (the people who made CDI
systems).
        There were other makers of replacement ignitions for the older EI
dizzys.
Lumenition (still extant) and Piranha (marketed by Nisonger in the US) both
UK manufacturers.  Piranha was also optical. Lumenition is magnetic (Hall
effect?) I mention this because you may occasionally come across this
stuff. We used to sell a lot of it before Crane/Allison. Piranha had 2 kits
depending on if you had the 45DE or DM breaker plate as there is a
different hole that they used. The old EI 45DE dizzys are also refered to
as Lucas Opus system. Crane refers to them that way in their catalogs.
        Peter C