Re: Impass...day 2

To: "Peter C." <nosimport@mailbag.com>, Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>
Subject: Re: Impass...day 2
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 09:31:55 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Peter,

I have never had this pump off, don't know about the previous owner. Good
idea to check though. I removed the inlet  hose and put on a short length
of hose. I then cranked the engine with my thumb over the hole and could
not feel any suction. I also reomoved the cover and dribbled a little gas
into the opening. Cranking didn't seem to make it go down. I'll remove the
pump and see what the deal is. Thanks.

Gerard

At 9:02 AM -0600 2/18/00, Peter C. wrote:
>Gerard,
>       I don't recommend whacking a mechanical fuel pump as you have.
>(electrical?, certainly). Be sure there isn't a break or small air leak on
>the fuel line inlet. You can take the pump off and manually work it to
>check that the diaphragm is intact. I forget how much has been done to this
>engine, but there are always questions of correct spacers pump to block and
>I've seen fuel pump arms end up on the wrong side of the cam. Did you have
>the pump off before?
>       Peter
>At 07:08 AM 2/18/2000 , Gary wrote:
>>Hi Gerard,
>>Have you tried the standard method of fuel pump first aid?  Find a nice rock
>>that fits your hand comfortably, whack ailing fuel pump one or two times,
>>then
>>try to start car. This will almost always work, and is much cheaper than
>>a new
>>pump.
>>Kate
>>
>>Gerard Chateauvieux wrote:
>>
>>> Listers,
>>>
>>> A very big thanks to everyone for all the advice on my distributor problem.
>>> I learned a lot from all of you. After sucessfully substituting a points
>>> dizzy temporarily, I came to my next impass. Seems the fuel pump isn't
>>> sucking any fuel. Is there a fix for it or do I just need to replace it?
>>> The shop manuals have no overhaul info, which makes me think I need a new
>>> one.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com