Re: dash question...

To: Toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: dash question...
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 09:30:40 EST
In a message dated 03/03/2000 6:50:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Toby.1969ah.1971lc@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< In the near future, once I get access to my schools rapid prototyping tool,
 I could make a new dash outa solid aluminum from a CAD file. I'm even
 thinking about incorporating a small touchscreen LCD into that new
 dash\console unit... we will see. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(/tongue in cheek mode on)

That would be similar to the prototype cars produced near the end of the
British Leyland empire.  Several were produced and given to testers across
England (limited to Sherwood Forest because it is haunted) and Northern
Scotland to be tested in the hills where no one would see them.

The early LCD panels proved to be delicate, and because of the level of
technological development of the period, they were so large they had to
replace the passenger's seat with the display.  Also, the glare from the
large screen made night driving almost impossible, and several cars were lost
as the driver had to look 90 degrees to his left to see how fast he was
going.  (Although no test drivers were killed due to the solid steel
dashboard/passenger cage/rollover bar also being tested as a new safety
measure to meet American standards, which consequently dropped the gas
mileage to 5 MPG.)

The project was dumped with the news that the Spitfire was going to carry the
ball for BL, and no known examples of the prototypes exist today.  Further
development seemed too expensive, and BL decided to fit new bushings to the
swing axles in the Spit instead.

(/Tongue in cheek mode off)

Sorry...just drinking my first cup of coffee this morning.  Larry sure will
be sorry he missed this one!  (Topless in the Poconos...HAH!)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport