Re: More Fuel Pump + valve question

To: Philip Hubbard <hubbard@idir.net>
Subject: Re: More Fuel Pump + valve question
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2000 21:41:33 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Philip Hubbard wrote:

> Here's an interesting (to me) update on my fuel pump.  I went out to the
> garage to put on the new Facet brand fuel pump, but decided to turn the key
> one last time to see what was up.  Of course, I got a completely normally
> functioning SU fuel pump at this point.  Delightful thump, thump, thump
> until up to pressure.  Drove around the neighborhood until car was good and
> warm and stopped and started the car several times.  No problems.
>
> Has anyone seen this phenomenon before?  Absolutely no click from pump one
> day, let it rest and then functions normally after that?  Is this just a
> sign that it is going bad or does it get stuck from time to time or....

Sounds like a typical SU fuel pump to me.
So you did not punch the right rear deck when your fuel pump quit the
first time? A sharp punch is the first option, second is a small hammer
on the fuel pump itself, third is a big hammer. If that doesn't fix it,
then you should clean the points, if that doesn't work then buy a new
one.
95% of all SU pump problems are dirty contact points fixable in about 5
minutes with the pump out of the car. (of course it takes 1/2 hour to
remove the pump from the car)

> Now the valve question.  I still have an idle problem of sorts.  It either
> idles very high (1200-1500) or after adjusting idle screws down -very low
> (700-500 to almost dieing).  I'm beginning to hear a new sound from time to
> time.  It's a very sharp clack, clack under the valve cover - like a
> snapping sound.  Doesn't sound rhythmic like just generally loose valve
> clearances.  Any ideas?  Do I have a serious valve replacement in my
> future?  Would that affect the idle as mentioned before?  Seems to me like
> it would have a big effect on idle, but I don't know.

It could be just a spacer spring on the rocker arm. They do slide back
and forth just a bit. Or low idle low oil pressure making the rocker
more audible.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ