Re: front plate requirement

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: front plate requirement
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 23:53:28 EST
In a message dated 3/14/00 10:15:27 AM, grbyrns@ucdavis.edu writes:

<< Although the front plate is required under CA law, it is seldom enforced.
In municipalities where red-light cameras have been installed
(Sacramento)they get a little tougher about it.  I don't see the need for a
front plate to identify my car to the local authorities.  If I show up on a
picture from such a camera, they'll know who to look for. >>

Bumpers and front plates have been required in CA since at least the 1940's.
These have not been rigidly enforced for a number of years.  As Glenn noted
enfourcement of the front plate requirement is being done in at least the
larger cities.  At one time anything sold for a car in CA had to be certified
by the state.  For instance Lucus flamethrower driving lights were (are)
illegal because they were never submitted for state approval.  The vehicle
code use to have explicit requirements for just about everything from ground
clearance to the height and number of various kinds of headlights, high low
beam lights, fog lights, driving lights.  Back in our hot rodder days we knew
almost all of these types of details in order to keep our cars street legal.

Bob and Annice
1960 Sprite (Mk IV indiguise)
1966(7) Sprite Mk III (in progress)