Re: 73 midget structural

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, LColli3554@aol.com
Subject: Re: 73 midget structural
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 21:15:40 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Having once considered doing this on my original rusted-out Bugeye several
years ago, I can to the same conclusion. This was a painful decision for me
at the time as I had owned the car for 29 years. It had a long and colorful
history with me, having owned it since I was a teenager. Once I made
decision to give it up if favor of a rustfree replacement, I realized it
was a wise decision.

In short, I would agree with Jay's advice. Find a car that is solid and
build on that.... you'll  be glad you did.

Gerard

At 4:02 PM -0500 3/14/00, type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>Hi,
>This may not be the answer that you are looking for but I feel it is the best
>advice.
>
>I assume by your question that you do not have experience with this type of
>reconstruction. I am not trying to be flip, but if I were in your position I
>would do one of two things and I list them in order of preference:
>1) I would locate a tub that is not in need such extensive repair. They
>are often
>found outside of the rust belt.
>2) I would have the work done by someone who has experience with this type of
>repair on a Spridget, but the cost would far exceed the value of the car.
>
>It is a monumental task to align everything correctly when the tub is
>disturbed.
>Even just replacing rockers and sills is difficult work.
>
>The only exception to this recommendation would be if your car has historical
>significance.
>
>Even if you spent $2,000. on a rust free or relatively rust-free tub, you
>would
>be far ahead of the game.
>
>I have done Option #1 and Option #2 and believe me Option #2 is whole lot more
>satisfying, a whole lot easier, and I almost forgot to mention, a whole lot
>cheaper.
>
>Jay Fishbein, CT (set your missiles)
>
>LColli3554@aol.com wrote:
>
>> Is this possible? with the engine out of the vehicle can the floors,inner
>> outer rockers, hinge pillars be replaced and get good lines without the
>> engine being in. Or should I put the engine in before I weld the A
>>pillars in
>> permanently? If the engine is out will the weight when installed change the
>> lines???????

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com