Re: 67 midget

To: kpdii@mindspring.com, midgetspriteclub@listbot.com, biondioe@yahoo.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 67 midget
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:41:05 EST
In a message dated 3/15/2000 11:27:59 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kpdii@mindspring.com writes:

<< started puffing large amounts of
 > white smoke out off the tail pipe when we stopped at a
 > light. the owner said it happened because of the choke
 > and that it would clear up. well it did but i don't
 > know if he was covering up a major problem. also the
 > engine was covered in oil coming from the head gasket
 > (i guess). >>

Oscar:

That sounds a lot like a head gasket--relatively easy fix--but always
possible that the head is cracked, etc.  If I bought the car, I think I would
first replace the head gasket (after checking it first, of course) and have
the head magnafluxed for cracks).   Used heads are not really expensive--I
saw one in the recent MiniMania catalog for $50.  I think I would be glad the
engine was RUNNING and not sitting around freezing up or in unknown
conditioin.  These engines are really easy to fix and overhaul.  This gives
you a strong bargaining chip to bring the price down.

I am assuming everything else functioned acceptably, like no deep engine
knocks, tranny shifted smoothly, etc.

--David C.