Re: Priorities

To: type79@ix.netcom.com, Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com>
Subject: Re: Priorities
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 10:45:22 -0800
Cc: woodrat <woodrat@spacey.net>, sprite list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
The bezels that are white or geenish color were certainly originally
chromed. There were blacked moled ones that were chromes also. Since I
personally don't care for the chrome look, I polish all the remaining
chrome off using Mother's polish. This is actually a semi-chrome polish,
but it works well on plastic also. With the white one's you don't have much
choice except to replace them or paint them with gloss black paint or
silver. The other possibilty is rechroming them using a craft foil. I found
information regarding this posted on the MG's BBS the other day... I have
no personal experience with it.

Posted 18 March 2000 at 15:17:22 UK time
  Jim Balsan, NYC, j.balsan@worldnet.att.net

  I was thinking of chrome paint for the switches until I saw the thread. I
e-mailed the company about using this foil on the dash and this is how they
responded:

  Hi Jim,

  Thank you for contacting the Bare-Metal Foil Co. Our product has been
mentioned in several publications as a good material for the restoration of
damaged chrome parts. Bare-Metal was
  originally designed for use on model cars and aircraft. Most modelers
don't handle their kits much after they are built. But I have used our foil
on a Gold Wing that I rode everyday to work
  and it held up very well.

  If you are going to use the foil on your dash panel you have to make sure
that the dash is free of any wax or Armour All. The adhesive we use is not
real aggressive. This is done by design to
  give the user a chance to reposition the foil before rubbing it down.
Once you rub the foil down it will grip the area where you put it and after
a day or two it will be very
  difficult to remove.

  Bare-Metal is $5.00 per sheet plus $3.20 for Priority mail. We accept
Visa, MasterCard, and American Express. You can send a check or money order
to the
  Bare-Metal Foil Co. P.O. Box 82 Farmington, MI 48332. Ask for the Ultra
Brite Chrome. I think that our Ultra Brite would work best for your
application.

  Thanks,

  Randy Mason
  Bare-Metal Foil Co.
  248 477-0813

Gerard

At 9:38 AM -0500 3/25/00, type79@ix.netcom.com wrote:
>Guys,
>My '72 had chrome bezels exhibiting various stages of patina from VG to Baby
>Food Pear color. The easiest thing to do is to remove them, mask off the
>rocker switches, prime and spray them with black gloss paint. Otherwise, you
>must find good used or new replacements.
>
>Jay Fishbein
>Wallingford, CT
>

>Frank Clarici wrote:
>
>> woodrat wrote:
>>    What was
>> > the original color of the bezels......this is important stuff, damn it!
>>
>> I know 1968 and 69 had chrome plastic rocker switch bezels.
>> Not sure about 70-72 and after that they went to all black with a green
>> back light.
>> I may have 1 NOS chrone headlight switch left in my Lucas box.
>> I have the later green back light fan switch for sure.
>>
>> --
>> Frank Clarici
>> Toms River, NJ
>> Down to only 3 Sprites, 1 Midget and an A40 Farina
>> http://www.exit109.com/~spritenut

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com