Re: 5-speed

To: "John Holliday" <fprodget@yahoo.com>, "Spridget Mail List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5-speed
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 22:19:23 -0800
The key to the conversion really is the adapter plate.  I found one in the
trunk of a junkyard Midget back around 1987.  The company that made it no
longer exists, and it was a WAG that led to the conclusion that it would
work with the Nissan transmission.  Like BMC, Nissan changed very few things
between models and years, so I think all of their A-series engines/
transmissions (yep, that's what they call their little 4 banger also) are
interchangeable.  My advise is get a 210 transmission, it will probably be
an easier swap, with more list experience to guide your way.

In order of front to back, here is what I did:
Machine Datsun B210 pilot bushing to fit into 1275 Crankshaft
Aluminum adapter plate replaces BMC steel engine back plate
Machine flywheel to accept Datsun B210 Clutch and Pressure Plate
Cut hole in Bell housing to clear starter
Cut hole in Bell housing 180 degrees to stock for Clutch release arm
Make bracket to relocate clutch release arm pivot point
Fabricate plate to mount 1275 Clutch Slave cylinder
Utilize 1500 Midget Flexible Clutch fluid line
Cut cross member out.
Build removable crossmember
Rear Transmission mount from a mid 80's Chevrolet
Shorten B210 driveline and install serviceable U-joints (It is a direct bolt
on to the Midget diff.)

David Riker
74 Midget
78 Midget