Re: Newbie???

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie???
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 00:22:39 -0500
Chris,

It's a good deal if there is in fact no rust and if in fact a new
dizzy cap and will get it to run.

Now, back to Planet Earth :)

For 2K, I'd expect a running car with good compression in all the
cylinders, good brakes, and a transmission that does not pop out of
gear. Basically, a daily or weekend driver that is reasonably safe to
move on down the road in. No major system problems, but in need of
lots of TLC. This will also become known to you as OMDTAA (One More
D*mn Thing After Another).

I cannot imagine that there is no rust. In fact, if it's a WI car,
I'd expect a lot. Did you get under the car and look for rust,
especially around the rear of all the wheel wells and along the
rocker panels? Did you look under the carpeting in the front foot
wells?

As for the not running bit. How long has it sat? Covered storage or
outdoors? Sitting for long spells is bad for the rubber in these
cars. Any idea when the brake fluid was last changed?

Now, as to whether it's realistically a good deal, not only should
you consider the value of this car per se, but I think you may want
to consider the likelihood of finding another in as good or better
condition in your locale. We all like to talk a good game on this
list, but the reality is that this may be the only Sprite for sale
near you. I live in a large metro area (Atlanta) and ended up buying
my car in SC after a 5 month search. At the extreme of this argument
is the position that this is a good deal because it is the only deal.

OTOH, you may just be starting to look for a spridget. There are lots
of them available nationwide. Depending upon your financial and time
constraints, it may be reasonable for you to look across the country.
It is always better to buy the best you can possibly afford.  There
is no substitute for a car that has been well maintained over the
years, with proper lubrication (oil in the engine and tranny, grease
at all the right points and often), frequent driving, and indoor
storage.

Good luck. These cars are addictive and a lot of fun. An
understanding SO is a MUST.

Jeff

---
On 3/30/00, Kinz@aol.com wrote:
>Hello List,
>
>    My name is Chris and I'm considering purchasing a 1965 Austin Healey
>Sprite from a guy I work with.  I know absolutely nothing about these neat
>looking little cars.  The car looks like it is in pretty good shape (no body
>rust and decent chrome) but the top is shot, a lot of cosmetic work, and it
>isn't running.  It needs a new distributor cap and a set of wires before I
>can even hear it run.  He wants $2000 for it.  Is this a good deal?   What
>should I look for?  Problem areas?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris-a new lurker from Wisconsin

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD