A question of value

To: "Spridgeteers" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: A question of value
Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 21:22:30 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
Tonight we went to look at a 60 bugeye, and unfortunately came away
disappointed.

The current owner has had this car since 1972, prior to that it's
history is unknown, but highly suspected to be a local Northern
California car for it's entire life. For the past ten years it has
been idle and stored either outside and tarped or beneath a carport
and tarped, but always over earthen or gravel surfaces.

Equipment-wise, the car is pretty complete. Vented wheels, tach drive
generator, solid  un-cut  (except for a radio) dash, top-bows and very
salvagable bonnet. The engine (948) was all there, including original
air cleaners, but the intake and exhaust manifolds had been unbolted
and where  just laying there. The grille was rusted beyond repair and
the seats were some kind of Toyota/Datsun replacements.

Here are the disappointing parts....both floorboards were rotted out,
and each A-pillar sported walnut sized rust holes, though they did not
appear to have reached the door hinges ,but seemed to be external
only, as the sills felt solid as well.

Anybody care to venture an estimated value. The owner told us that he
had refused $1000 a few years back...to me...a $1000 seemed like a
fair price for a car with extensive floorboard rot, and one that has
not run in quite a few years.

Am I deluding myself to think that it is possible to find a decent
bugeye shell. A solid tub that I could swap all the later mechanical
stuff into, perhaps give it a paint job, some interior, new
hydraulics, brakes... and have a driver? Not a show car or trailer
queen or a recent restoration/refurbishment, but a decent original
car.

Any and all opinions, thoughts, rants and/or comments you might have
as to the value of a car as described and my question of self-delusion
or  bugeyes for sale would be interesting.

Thanks,

Bill & Cindy