Re: Progress on the Knocking

To: DLancer7676@cs.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Progress on the Knocking
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 19:30:29 -0700 (PDT)
David,
I'm sorry - if anyone should have known to suggest
this it should have been me - I got my free (and rust
free) Spitfire because a PO thought he had blown the
engine due to a knock that, you guessed it, I found to
be a loose flywheel. And I know Frank thinks the Spit
was overpriced, even at $free.

--- DLancer7676@cs.com wrote:
> I don't know whether my last post went through or
> not--I didn't get a copy in
> my box, so I suspect that it didn't.  If I am
> repeating something you already
> received, my apologies--just be satisfied that you
> are reading great script
> twice!!!  LOL
>
> You remember last weekend I sent a post that my 1500
> engine was knocking
> after a hard downshift?  I appreciate all the input
> I received from everyone!
>  I have followed most of the leads I received here
> and everything was solid
> as far as I could determine.  So I took the car to
> Gary Lownsdale's (of the
> list) and we pulled the engine after Gary
> meticulously listened to the
> running engine and knocking with a mechanic's
> stethoscope.  He determined the
> knocking was coming from BEHIND the #4 cylinder.  We
> took off the clutch and
> lo and behold!!!  the flywheel was LOOSE!!!  The
> flywheel bolts were so loose
> I could turn them easily--I mean like floppy.
>
> Inspecting the flywheel, we found it pretty chewed
> up around the bolt holes,
> and the holes themselves wallowed out.  So to my
> favorite mechanic's garage
> this evening where I bought a used flywheel, 4
> bolts, and a new rear seal for
> $35.
>
> I plan to have the flywheel resurfaced before
> installing it next week.  I
> will keep the list informed as to the success of
> this fix.  Thanks again for
> all the input!
>
> By the way--this is the 2nd time I have fixed a
> floppy loose flywheel in this
> car in a year and a half.  Wonder why those dim
> witted engineers didn't put a
> lock plate on the 1500 flywheel like the 1275 has?
>
> --David C.

=====
Ron Soave
"By trying we can easily learn to endure adversity. Another man's, I mean." -
Mark Twain

Find the REAL Larry at:
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=64205&a=465433&p=17927032