Re: www.healey.org

To: type79@ix.netcom.com
Subject: Re: www.healey.org
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:22:42 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 4/10/2000 3:29:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
type79@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<  almost everything that AHCUSA does is accomplished by
 volunteers as opposed to the other club which has some paid positions, travel
 expenses for its fat roster of officers, and other tiny perks. >>

I don't know anything about the management of the national clubs, but I am a
member of the Austin Healey Club of America (I don't know whether this
qualifies as the "other" club Jay mentioned ???) through being a member of
its affiliate Smoky Mountain Austin Healey Club.  I have been extremely
satisfied by the reception of Spridgets into the club and the acceptance of
even my Midget in all our activities.  On the National level, I do know the
new President, Gary Lownsdale,  personally--he is an active reader of and
contributor to this list--and he is a Sprite owner and racer.  I understand
that one of his goals is to bring the Sprite identity to a level equal to any
other Healey marque.  The magazine is well-stocked with Sprite articles and
information.

So if you join a club on whether it sees fit to handle its officers in one
way or the other, that is your decision--I am satisfied with the way the ACHA
is treating my first love, the Sprite (read Spridget).  This is not to
devaluate the "other" club--I am sure it is serving a valuable need for
bringing Healey guys together too.  But as an active member, and NOT an
officer nor decision-maker for the ACHA, I have never felt "second-class".
Why once, I led a club drive--an Austin Healey Club drive, mind you--in my
Midget.  Those big Healeys just fell in behind and cruised right along behind
me!  In fact before we started I told the Big Healey guys that if they had
trouble keeping up with the Midget they should flash their lights!  They just
smiled good-naturedly.   LOL

My loose change on the subject!

--David C.