Re: Convertible installation

To: noel@BATTELLE.ORG, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Convertible installation
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:17:32 EDT
In a message dated 4/19/00 12:39:41 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
noel@BATTELLE.ORG writes:

<< Included with the top are six female
 "tennax" connectors, and a multitude of snaps, both male and female.

    Does the '72 require 6 "tennax" connectors across the back and one
 on each side?

    Where do the snaps go?  >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have a '77 Midget and I installed a hood last year.  Mine uses the 6 Tenax
snaps, other snaps, and Velcro.  I don't think the '72 used the Velcro.

The rubber moulding goes on the lip of the front of the boot area.  The end
caps go on the ends of the moulding.  The regular snaps (male part) come with
sheet metal screws to attach the metal bar, which clamps the rear edge of the
hood in place over the rubber moulding.  I don't remember how many, but there
should be holes in the lip where the screws will go.  The female part of the
snaps will be found on the boot cover and tonneau cover, not on the hood.

The Tenax snaps are posts that go through the rubber moulding as you move
along toward the door.  As I said, in the '77 there is a strip of Velcro
closest to the door with the mating part of the Velcro on the bottom corner
of the hood.  The '77 uses 3 Tenax snaps per side but other years may use
more inplace of the Velcro.  The Tenax posts are held by a nut on the back.
(I hate Tenax snaps!)  I am considering removing the Tenax posts and
reinstalling them with washers to compress the rubber moulding so the hood
and boot cover snaps go on a bit easier.  They are tough on cold fingers.

It is essential to get the hood centered on the rear lip.  Start in the
middle and alternate out to each side as you install the snaps, pulling the
fabric taught.  Then figure out where you want to glue it to the header bar,
once again making sure it is centered in the front.  Glue it and reinstall
the header seal and bar.  I suggest a new header bar seal if yours is smashed
and bent.  I used a 3M fabric glue/contact cement from Pep Boys.

I bought stainless steel snaps at a big hardware store.  You may be able to
find Tenax posts there too, but I ordered mine from Moss.  Always use
stainless steel if you can find it.  (Less stuff to rust is a good thing.)

Installing the hood was easier than I expected, but two (or three) pairs of
hands is a big help.  Mine is tight and dry.

Good luck!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget