Re: Midget 1500 gearbox vs Spitfire gearbox

To: Daniel1312@aol.com, tboicey@brit.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 gearbox vs Spitfire gearbox
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 16:16:26 -0700 (PDT)
Daniel,

You are correct. It's the main shaft that is
different. The scroll seal uses a larger main shaft
but still has the same size tip. It's highly important
to let your transmission rebuilder know that your bell
housing uses either the scroll type seal or the proper
seal. (i.e. If you have the scroll type and you use
the proper seal type shaft...can you say geal oil leak
and one slippery clutch! )

Nothing wrong with the scoll seal...the turning of the
shaft spins the oil into the scroll and the oil is
forced to move back to the rear (into the tranny)thus
lubricating the shaft and bearings and returning the
oil to where it came from.

They do the same thing with performance scrolled steel
valve guides. These are nice! Wear a heck of a lot
better over the long haul then the bronze guides!

Dan Dwelley
75 Midget rather than 77 (F*&%*ng DPO!!!)
Alexandria, Va.

--- Daniel1312@aol.com wrote:
> There wasn't much of a response to this from I can
> see (not being on the
> Spitfires list).
>
> Out of interest I did a bit of digging around on
> this issue.  It seems that
> the boxes are similar but some boxes have a proper
> seal on one of the shafts
> (main?) whereas some have a scroll (bad?).
>
> However, a trip to my local breakers yard that still
> has a Spitfire in it
> from a while back has a box that looked different
> from the 1500 box in my
> Spridget Haynes manual - so what gives?
>
> Daniel1312

=====