NOS Slave Cylinder! Kinda long.

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: NOS Slave Cylinder! Kinda long.
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 02:32:30 -0700
     Tomorrow I start my annual vacation!  No train whistles.  No weird
hours.  No management threatening me with my job if I screw up.  Through
a scheduling screw up and misunderstanding about the kids "off track"
dates, I will be home alone with just myself and my Bugeye.
YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
     Actually, Sunday is the regular day off for the job I'm on now with
the railroad.  That could change by the time I get back to work.  But, I
worked all day on my car.  I intend to assemble enough of the car to at
least get a test run around the block before I start back to the salt
mines.  I still have to install the wiring and drive train for that to
happen.  I also have to install the gas tank, radiator, make a new fuel
line, etc., etc.  Today I painted the transmission with the Moss Sprite
Midget green paint so I could install it first tomorrow before the
engine.  As this was a basket case, I guess I didn't notice that the
Lockheed clutch slave cylinder that was in one of the boxes (brand new
in the box since 1976!) was a 1 inch bore.  My car needs a 7/8ths bore
slave cylinder.  So, tomorrow a call to the regular suspects and get the
right one.  Anyone on the list need an NOS 1 inch slave cylinder?  I'll
send it if you send me postage money.  It turns out that the small
rubber boot that slides over the clutch fork had somehow become brittle
and just split in pieces when I tried to force it over the end of the
fork.   I also tried to slide the drive shaft on the end of my rebuilt
transmission prior to installing it in the car it.  It wouldn't go.  I
got a small flashlight to see what was keeping it from sliding in place
and found rust and corrosion in the female splines of the drive shaft.
It's toast.  So tomorrow, more time out to find a new yoke for that end
of the drive shaft.  Wow, what's next?  Maybe I was being too optimistic
about the 2 week deadline.  You always have to take 2 steps backward to
take one step forward with these cars.
     So tomorrow, I'll have to start some other job on the car while the
drive shaft saga plays out.  I know, I'll paint the engine with the
other can of Moss green paint so I can find out something wrong that
will have to be fixed before it is installed!
Mike MacLean-60 Sprite