Re: More on dizzy bushings

To: "Glen Byrns" <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: More on dizzy bushings
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 10:35:40 -0400
According to the info I have gleaned in the last week. Yes. Getting the
bushes out is not the problem. The problem is the bushes are fragile.
Putting them back in takes a press. On top of which you need to pull the
thing apart to determine if the shaft is worn as well. If yes then you
need a new shaft as well. Was advised that to rebuild - send to a pro.

There is a fellow, Lawrie Alexander, on the MG list that comes highly
recommended. However, I just, this morning, got an email back from him
that says they are back logged about 4 weeks. If you want his email - ask
me.

Larry
Still trying to determine what to do about the 68 MGB points style dizzy
in the Midget, get a new one, send for a rebuild, shoot the damn thing.

At this exact moment in time 4/27/00 10:24 AM, grbyrns@ucdavis.edu made
the profound statement:

>I should have added in the first post that I have Crane Cams elec ign., with
>a slotted plastic disc passing through an IR sensor instead of points.
>Checking dwell is moot in this case.  I plan to check the timing
>fluctuations with a light tonight.  There is definitely slop in the shaft.
>Idle is good, high speed is great (that's the turbo talking) but the rpms
>fluctuate noticeably when the throttle is held at about 3500 rpm.  Its about
>a 500 rpm swing as it bounces up and down from ~3200 to 3700.
>
>How hard is it to rebuild a dizzy shaft/bushing?
>
>Regards,
>Glen Byrns
>'59 Bugeye

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.