Bugeye rear tranny mount???---UPDATE

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Bugeye rear tranny mount???---UPDATE
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 11:58:24 EDT
In a message dated 00-05-04 21:08:53 EDT, Rikrock writes:

<<
 This has probably been asked before, but I'm new here!

 Got some new tranny mounts to replace the very bad ones that were on the
car, and I have a question about the center mount.  How the heck do you get
what is left of the old one out, and the new one in?  On my car, the rubber
is crimped.  Do I just dig the old rubber out, bend the tabs back, set the
new one in place and hammer away to get the tabs to hold it?!?!  Some sort of
trick?

Well, here's what I learned by doing ....

It's pretty easy to get the old rubber out when you use a torch to burn up a
fair amount of the rubber first.  A hammer and drift will knock the rest of
it out with just a swing or two.  Mine came out cleanly.  The tabs are pretty
tough to bend to an upright position, but if you heat them, one at a time, to
a reddish color, they bend easily.  Don't bend the ears so wide  that the new
mount drops right in.  It's better that you use a hammer to tap the mount
in.(makes the next step easier) A little rubber lube helps. Make sure it is
centered and hammer it home.

Then with the assembly in a vise, use a heavy hammer and drift to bend the
ears inwards.  Each ear will require a few whacks, (this is where having the
thing already a snug fit helps by keeping the mount from moving around)and
you most likely won't be able to bend them all the way back to their original
position without doing some damage, but I don't think that's a big deal.

What is a big deal is the side mounts I got from Moss don't fit properly!
They bolt on to the tranny okay, but they aren't as thick as the originals,
giving me a gap of about 1/8" to the main steel mount.  Trying to draw them
tight rips them apart.  I don't think I was sent the wrong parts.  The
numbers check out and they look about right, but they are just not as "thick"
or "tall".  Back they go!  Using them would require fabrication of some
shims.  As easily as they started to rip, though, I think I will look for
some used ones in good shape.  Anyone got a couple??? Or know where to get
properly made new ones??

Rich Rock
Pottstown, PA