Re: Carpet - Does anyone have the pattern?

To: cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Carpet - Does anyone have the pattern?
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 10:47:20 EDT
In a message dated 5/8/00 11:30:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cdsorkin@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< Do you, or anone else, have a paper pattern that can be shared with the
 list?   I'm interested in doing my own recarpeting of the '68 and the '74,
 but I lack Frank's confidence to just "do it" without a paper pattern to go
 by.  Surely Moss doesn't own the trademark for the layout. >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Charles, I took Frank's lead when I did the carpet in my '77 Midget.  I used
what I could of the old carpet as patterns to cut new pieces on the large
side.  Then I fitted them in place and trimmed until they fit.

The only piece I had made was the tranny cover with the hole for the shifter.
 The old one was hard as a rock, but still intact.  I took it to the auto
upholstery shop with a whack (love that word!) of new carpet and paid them
about $45 to cobble it together.  It looks great, and it was worth the price.

The toughest pieces to cut are the rear wheel well coverings.  I started with
the carpet arced over the top, and made V-cuts until it fit in place.  Cut
straight in, then fit the carpet over itself, then mark and cut a V shape so
the carpet will fit without overlapping.

Even if I had paper patterns, I would probably have messed it up!  Just go
slowly and cut, cut, cut until it fits.  Then glue it quick!

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport