Re: Thanks for the advice

To: cstanton@pixley.com, spridgets@autox.team.net, mwalter@luminet.net
Subject: Re: Thanks for the advice
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:31:47 EDT
In a message dated 05/12/2000 6:34:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
cstanton@pixley.com writes:

<<
 It also might be easier to just find another oil pan. (anybody want to speak
up?)

 Christian Stanton
 '78 MG Midget >>

I had this problem with the oil pan on my TR4 when I got it.  No one could
budge the thing, not even the the gorillas at the Lube-n-Go who have all
manner of vise grips and persuaders.

I finally dropped the pan, dumped the old oil, took it to a carwash (not in
CA) and blasted it clean inside and out.

I worked at a truck leasing establishment then and the shop manager and I
couldn't even get it out with heat.  He finally cut it out with a torch
(artist at work), without messing up the threads much.  Then we took a brass
fitting.  I forget what it's called (bushing?) threaded outside the same as
the plug, and inside for a smaller diameter plug.  Teflon tape on the
bushing, screwed into the pan, and a brass plug with teflon tape inside that.

It's worked for several years with no leaks, but only a couple of oil changes
and probably less than 500 miles.

Anyway, I hope you don't have to go to these lengths, but all is not lost.
With enough time and money anything can be fixed.

R. Houston