Re: Today's funny story from the shop!

To: transmancat@bbnow.net, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Today's funny story from the shop!
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:15:59 EDT
In a message dated 6/1/00 12:25:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
transmancat@bbnow.net writes:

<< His solution was to place the gearbox in a box and then fill the box with
 that expanding construction foam. Now, the gearbox was not damaged at all by
 the shippers! but I had to carve it out of the box, which took 4 whole
 hours. That stuff goes hard and it sticks fast to everything it touches.
 Great idea, but what a job I had to get that crap off.
 So if ever you want some gearbox work done, and you have this idea about
 construction foam....please send it elsewhere! <grin> >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I think you are supposed to put the item being shipped in some heavy gauge
plastic before squirting in the foam.  It is also usually enough to foam
around the item, rather than completly encasing it.  Kodak used to ship
repaired projectors that way.  They would foam a bit in the bottom of the
box, put in a sheet of plastic, put in the projector whilst the foam was
still soft so it took the shape, then another sheet of plastic and a bit more
foam on top.  When we got the box back, we could just pull out the top foam
and the projector was sitting in a custom formed bottom piece.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport