Concours values (was Re: '61 Sprite Value

To: Wiedemeyer <boxweed@thebest.net>
Subject: Concours values (was Re: '61 Sprite Value
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:00:59 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: spridgets list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Interesting thread (again).  The way I look at it,
there are 3 types of cars - perfect true concours
quality, cars that are sound body wise,
and...everything else, which will need tons of time
and $$$.  I'm of Bob's mind(?) when it comes to
Concours cars' values.  Most cars "in-between" usually
need everything in a short time period anyway.  That's
why some of these $7,000 ebay Sprites are to me
foolish buys.  They may appear sound, but what you
can't see can hurt a whole lot.  Go in assuming you'll
need several thousand to make it right enough to drive
safely.  I remember a year or so ago Rob Garofalo's
Bugeye that was featured in Road and Track was at a
dealer's for $25,000.  Gold level concours, rubber mat
interior, original tires.  The only points he lost in
Concours were for cracks in the sidewalls of the -0-
mile tires.  So unless you had a time machine and
could buy tires from 1958 brand new, you could not
find a more perfect car.  How much would you pay if
there were a BMC dealer in town selling brand new
Bugeyes?  I'd probably pay $15 to $20K.  Because there
isn't such a thing, I'd probably have tried to
negotiate on Rob's car a little, but paid close to
$25K if I had that kind of disposable income.

Whatever, it's finally not raining, Little League game
to coach....

=====
Ron Soave
'60 Bugeye