Re: Soft Top Lifts

To: Greg Mahney <mahney@central.murdoch.edu.au>
Subject: Re: Soft Top Lifts
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 10:02:32 -0500
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
I also had this effect on my 60 Bugeye. It was more pronounced as
temperature rose also. Adjustments made it better, but I concluded that
the ultimate cause was that the bar had a bend in 3 different ways.
First there was a bend that allowed the center of the bar to not press
to the bottom of the channel! A small twist to the bar made it feel snug
only on the passenger side. A bow to the bar (possibly caused by driving
with the gap open at 60 MPH) aided in pulling the bar out at speed. The
bar should also have the long edge tucked into the seam. I used the
hand, eye and cuss word method to achieve a better fit, however due to
poor tension from the top bow it still popped out when the weather
started warming and stretching the top. I took this as a que that it
was  time to take the top off and enjoy the warm day.
Bruce Lowry