5-speed saga, day 3

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: 5-speed saga, day 3
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2000 13:57:27 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I took last night off to continue the tradition of the "Brain Dead Mountain
Biker Tuesday Night Climb up the Frickin' Mountain" club.  But I did get
home early enough to finish the rebuild of the rear hubs.  Rear now has the
original 4.2 back in to go with the 210 tranny, all buttoned up and ready to
roll.  At the same time I finished the conversion to 7/16" wheel studs all
around.  Lets see Mr. Airwrench snap these babies off!

I rented a 4" grinder at lunch today to make very short work of the tranny
case mods.  Took about 15 minutes.  The correct bushing for the pilot shaft
arrived today from Paul (thanks a million!) and now it look like all the
prep stuff is done.  Tonight should be tinker toy time, putting on the back
plate to the block, the flywheel, clutch, and bolting the engine and tranny
together.  With a little luck I should make the first try to drop it in
tonight and see how much I have to beat on the heater box.

Its now Wednesday afternoon and I have put a total of about 3 hours into the
actual conversion.  This doesn't count the junkyard time to aquire the
Datsun gearbox or the 1.5 hours to pull the engine and tranny.   With the
Chico show coming up Saturday it looks like a slam dunk that I will finish
in time.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye