Re: Exhaust Wrap

To: "David Brackman" <begowest@telus.net>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Exhaust Wrap
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 11:12:31 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
yo-yo-yo what up in da hood? i be do'in da exhaust wrap!

i just could not hold myself back on that one!!  lol!  but seriously we have
used the insulating wrap on sections of header tube that were very close to
components that were what we considered to be heat sensitive and in a
position that was not open to discusion about where they could be relocated
to.   as far as that aplication goes the wrap is very sucessfull in gaining
the needed protection for adjacent components to exhaust tubing.   now
completly wraping an entire header is not out of the question but a rather
expensive / time consuming job that personaly i would not recomend unless it
was a real "last resort" effort to reduce under hood temperatures for a
specific reason.  in my 2 stroke race car it would be a mistake to "insulate
the exhaust as the bigdeal with 2 stroke systems is to disipate heatbefore
exhaust exits the system to keep from experiencing reversion (the tendency
of exhaust gasses to be shocked by exiting into outside temperatures and
literally sending a shock back up the exhaust system against theflow of
gasses trying to exit).  a 4 stroke systen has the same problem but not as
critical as in 2 strokes.   this is some of what a tuned exhaust system is
about in theory, exiting temperatures of gasses.   the other neat thing when
installing the wrap is do not use anything but stainless wire to attach it!
regular wire will rust right off in no time and the wrap will just unravel
and disappear off the car.  use stainless steel wire used for safety wiring
hardware on aircraft or race cars it stays in place and will not
deteriorate.  for those that are inclined to experiment, go for it!

chuck.
back to work, on the abarth!  getting well versed at italian expletives!!!
lol!