Re: New Timing covers

To: "Bryan Vandiver" <Bryan.Vandiver@Eng.Sun.COM>, "John J. Black" <transmancat@bbnow.net>
Subject: Re: New Timing covers
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2000 21:30:33 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>

Also,
> >would expect that 0 degrees TDC timing mark would need to be re-marked on
> >the
> >front pully, do you happen to carry new/used  properly marked front
pully?

> >Regards - Bryan

Having made sets of these for my own cars over the years, I may be able to
help with these questions.....

It bolts straight onto a standard 803cc-1275cc front plate unless your has
one of the oddball front plates with a stiffener spotwelded onto it around
the point where the alternator mounts to the plate.  If you have one of
these, just drill through the spotweld or grind off the bit you dont need.
These stiffeners come in different lenghts.  If you have no stiffener, then
you can bolt the cover straight on although there is one hole on the dizzy
side that may foul a nut due to inaccuracies in the casting between years.
No problem as you can miss this one out.  The 'squared off bit' goes in the
area between the old style cover and the right-hand engine mount rubber.
The timing marks are 180 degrees out so can be used on the next cylinder
(your car wont run with the timing 180 degrees out so you will soon know)
The marks are at 4 degree intervals, are accurately placed and are unlikely
to have ever been disturbed when pulling the engine out.  Being at the top
they get less oily and of course.....YOU CAN SEE THEM WITHOUT HAVING TO
CLIMB UNDER THE CAR!!!!!!!
I have run these cover totally unmodified on my own 1275s,1275A+s and 1098s
since I first found out about them years ago.  the tensioner is a hard
plasticy material that replaces the metal strip or rubber ring systems from
the 1960s.  Basically, it simply manages to keep the chain taut and quiet
for about 100,00+ miles without the need for replacement.  You can get them
with or without breathers to match the style of the original car.  the
gaskets are amazing compared to the old style of paper-ish gasket.  Again,
it is an example of Rover deciding to improve the A-series engine following
the 1982 launch of the Mini replacement.  I have some photos (GIF /JPEG?) of
the covers in action on my 1098 Sprite2 engine if anybody wants one.