Closer, but still won't start

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Closer, but still won't start
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 17:35:10 -0400
Help.

Once again, I have turned my attentions to the '68 Sprite, which is just
begging to be restarted after a 12-year hiatus.  New fuel pump.  Needles and
seats appear to function.  Same thing with the jets.  The pistons in the
dashpots had frozen in place, but a long soak in PB Blaster freed them.  New
plugs are delivering a bright blue spark.  New dizzy cap.  New points and
condensor.  (They are from Moss... perhaps that's the problem?).   Fuel is
getting into the cylinders.

Why won't the thing start?

I haven't done a compression test, but an engine should run even if compression
is poor.  Fuel is brand new.

Static timing indicates that the distributor is close to the proper setting.  I
tried advancing and retarding 20 degrees each, to no avail.  A couple of times
while cranking, it sounded like I was getting one or two sputters, but no
actual starting.

What should I try next?  Besides Guiness?

Regards,

Charles
'74 Midget
'68 Sprite