A good idea to check...

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: A good idea to check...
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2000 22:33:13 -0700
...your fuel supply line if you have a 1500 Midget.

Last night after taking the 1500 out for a quick spin after getting the
correct wheels amd tires back on the car, This was the first real drive I
have made in the '75 Midget. I was pleased with how the car ran and
everything worked very well on the car. About an hour after returning home
and putting the car back in the garage, my daughter came to get me from my
room saying she smelled a gasoline smell in the house. As I headed
downstairs, I could suddenly detect the small of gasoline too. As I made my
way to the garage and turned the corner of the stairs, I could see a huge
pool of gasoline under the Midget.

I quicky opened the garage door, pushed out the first car and got a jack
under the front of the car as I was sure the fuel was coming from the fuel
line under the car. By elevating the front of the car above the gas tank,
the fuel stopped leaking from the car. After cleaning up the floor I was
able to get under the car to find the rubber hose that connects the main
section of the metal line to the front section of metal line was severed
just next to the clamp. Obviously the stress at this point combined with
the age of the hose caused it to fail at the lowest point in the fuel line,
Luckily I only had a few gallons of gas in the tank.

Unlike earlier cars, the hose is used to (presumably) allow flexibility
between the metal line at the engine at the one fixed to the chassis.
Unfortunately, the metal line  from the tank terminates at the bottom of
frame rail right about when the drain plug is located on the transmission,
and will allow the gas tank to freely drain if at breaks at that location.

I changed all the other rubber lines months ago, but missed this one.
Fortunately, I avoided potential catastrophe. Had this happened while we
were all asleep or not home, this could have been a real disaster.

Take a look under your cars and inspect this hose. When you see how it's
configured, you will see the potential hazard in the design.

Gerard

--
Please visit Four Points Travel -
Discount Online Hotel Reservations in the U.S.

G G              Gerard Chateauvieux
 E A
  R R        pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com
   A A