Progress report (and, per standard procedure, a question or two) - long

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Progress report (and, per standard procedure, a question or two) - long
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2000 21:34:51 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Well I've taken a few days away from the salt mine and have been making a
little progress.  I'd like to thank the listers who have responded to my
previous queries, in particular regarding the oil pump.

I've held off on further engine assembly until I get a little holder for my
dial indicator so I can time the cam correctly.  Anybody have a good source
for those things?  The kind with a magnetic base and a little articulated
arm?  I was thinking of just going by the friendly Snap-On distribution
center near my job - I'm sure they'd like to separate me from a pile of $$
that would otherwise sit in my savings account, unused and forlorn.  The DPO
of my '71 Midget had painted the grill and surround black, so I'm going to
have it blasted and then re-finish in black again as a salute to the abuse
the car has taken.  Plus, I just painted the bottom of the car a nice shiny
black, so it will match and nobody will know.  It's important to spend a lot
of time and effort on things that nobody will ever see!!  I re-finished the
exhaust system over the past week and hung it in approximate position
today - it'll be interesting to see how it lines up to where the header
comes out!  Speaking of which, the header and intake manifold have been sent
to be Jet-Hot coated (at the recommendation of several list members).
Various electrical connectors and wires that had been bodged, folded,
minced, spindled and/or mutilated have been replaced or repaired, and
tomorrow I'm dropping off the center console to be re-covered.  Pretty soon
I'll be forced to work on the engine for lack of anything else to do!

Here's something that occurred to me recently.  It's been quite a pleasure
for me to work on the car, and work on it, and work on it some more - but
the other day I had spent about 14 hours painting the bathroom, working on
the car, mowing the lawn, working on the car, doing dishes, and working on
the car.  The thought occurred to me that I was tired, yes tired, of working
on the car:  and rather than working on it, I would really rather be driving
it around.  This thought led me to feel discouraged for several minutes,
until it occurred to me that the desire to utilize the vehicle (rather than
constantly repair it) was probably a sign of sanity, and that it is probably
a good thing that I eventually grow weary of puttering away on it!

But that is neither here nor there!  I have more questions for the masses.

Question 1:  Regarding the fresh-air (heater) duct:  at the end closest to
the front of the car, is there supposed to be a flange over which the duct
fits?  It's been since 1986 since the car was assembled, and if there was
anything there, I can't remember it and can't find one in the garage - but
it looks like there must have been something there!  If someone has one
available, I would gladly purchase it from you!
Question B:  Regarding the under-dash mounting of the steering column.  When
I took the car apart, I remember noting:  "Hmmm:  steering column held on by
one big bolt . . . . wonder if that's stock?"  Well, soon will come the time
to re-install the dash, and I think I'd better have the steering column
mounted properly before it's out of sight (and mind!).  I have not been able
to find a good description or exploded drawing of this area - could someone
please point me to one, or perhaps post a description of the area?
Question III:  As long as we're discussing the area - my plastic steering
wheel surround is cracked (although largely functional).  Does anyone have a
correct original one thay'd care to part with?  Please let me know!

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Thanks for reading, and also in
advance for your consideration and replies.  Sorry for the length - I'm just
trying to ruin the curve!