Re: rear gas shocks and rear axles

To: rob thomas <rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Subject: Re: rear gas shocks and rear axles
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2000 09:51:10 -0700
on 7/3/00 11:45, rob thomas at rob@thomasr.greatxscape.net wrote:

> I had been using a pair of Spax rear shocks that were designed to be set at
> 45 degrees to the angle of motion, ie they were not vertical.  I have moved
> them so that they are now vertical and are fixed with the top link between
> the axle  check strap and the wheelarch.  The whole of the top link is held
> with a 7/16 bolt that also holds the axle check strap.  Has anyone else done
> this?  Is it going to break?  Why was the spax kit designed at 45 degrees
> anyway?  It SEEMS to work OK although the minimum amount of damping seems to
> be more than enough.

I thought that the Spax were mounted at an angle because the distance
between axle and body is very short.  So my concern with what you did is
whether you still have enough shock travel now or if the shock will bottom
out before the axle hits the bump stop.  Bottoming out a shock can destroy
it in a hurry.
You should also have a stiffer shock now since the shock will move more now
than it did at an angle.

http://www.mirafiori.com/~ulix/               '67 Sprite     '74 X1/9