rear gas shocks and rear axles

To: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>, <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Subject: rear gas shocks and rear axles
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 19:45:13 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
I had been using a pair of Spax rear shocks that were designed to be set at
45 degrees to the angle of motion, ie they were not vertical.  I have moved
them so that they are now vertical and are fixed with the top link between
the axle  check strap and the wheelarch.  The whole of the top link is held
with a 7/16 bolt that also holds the axle check strap.  Has anyone else done
this?  Is it going to break?  Why was the spax kit designed at 45 degrees
anyway?  It SEEMS to work OK although the minimum amount of damping seems to
be more than enough.

Also, has there ever been a 1/4 elliptic sprung car that has been adapted to
use semi elliptic springing?  It looks straight forwards but there is always
the possibility of stresses that the body wasn't designed for.  Any insight
would be welcome.  My 1966 donor with the close-ratio 5 speed would be a
useful source of a good rear end as it has had extra bracketry for gas
shocks and a panhard rod.  If I'm going to do some work on the early car, I
might as well do it all!