Re: Introduction and Clunking Noise

To: Tommy Regan <tommy_regan@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Introduction and Clunking Noise
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2000 22:59:01 -0700
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
Tommy,

The clunk is more than likely the splines on the wire wheels and/or
hubs being a little worn. Jack the rear up (I use a floor jack under
the differential, then puck jack stands under the front attach points
of the rear springs). Take the knock offs off and chack for excessive
wear. Sight down the splines (look right down the groove like you're
sighting a rifle). The spline teeth should look like equilateral
triangles with their tips cut off. They should not be collapsed down
on one side and stretched over on the other. They should not come to
sharp points. If they look good, slather a bunch of grease on them,
remount the wheel on the hub, and tighten with hammer. Do not bang on
the knock-on (or cinch tight with a wrench if your knock-ons are of
the earless variety) with weight on the tires. Once tightened, lower
the car and you're on your way.

There are other potential sources for the clunk, but my experience
has been that the most likely are the wire wheels.

Jeff

Jeffrey H. Boatright, PhD
Assistant Professor, Emory Eye Center, Atlanta, GA
Senior Editor, Molecular Vision
<http://www.molvis.org/molvis>
<mailto: jboatri@emory.edu>