Re: Roll Bar

To: <DLancer7676@cs.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Roll Bar
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 08:47:18 -0000charset="iso-8859-1"
it sounds from the description you have a cosmetic roll bar as opposed to a
competition roll bar.   with a competition type there shouldbe about 4 bolts
of grade 8/ no less than grade 5 on each leg of attachment.  also in a bolt
in instalation there are steel back up plates for under the car to spread
out the load so it will not tear out if it is tested in an inverted manuver.
it does not sound like there are enough attaching pieces of hardware on each
leg.  the back up plates are easy enough to make.  main concern would be is
the bar intended to suport the weight of the vehicle and if upside down will
it resist forces trying to tear it apart and out of the car.  inspite of
weight , wall thickness of the bar is a concern.  should be minium .120 wall
thickness made of erw or dom steel with seams in tubing to inside of all
bends and for a 1500lb or greater weight car be 1&1/2" diameter tubing as
used in vintage racing using the 1972 scca specs.  properly mounted with
proper strength hardware and being properly backed up with backing plates at
underside of all attaching points this should protect the driver.  also a
"competition roll bar must be a minium of 2" above the driver's helmet also.
this usually negates the street use of any type of roof soft or hard.
just some basic roll bar information here.  you can add suplimental bracing
if you are inclined but a basic hoop with 2 rearward legs and a diagonal
brace in the main hoop are the starting points of minimal requirements.

chuck.
there is a science to this construction!  ask wst!  not a random assembly of
tubing to resemble a large bird cage.......c.