Re: Insurance

To: pythias@pacifier.com, Patricia.Sauthoff@blvdmedia.com
Subject: Re: Insurance
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 10:16:43 EDT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
In a message dated 07/14/2000 8:50:35 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pythias@pacifier.com writes:

<<               yes.. allstate is a great insurance company.. for TAKING
               your money.. but not so great when it comes to giving it
               back.... ALL  i mean ALL of the ancecdotal stories i
               have heard regarding ALLSTATE insurance.. whether for
               HOME or AUTO have made that clear to ME... the reason
               they brag about being there... right after a disaster is
               because the are there... gettting people to sign off
               without having gotten a real idea as to the real
               magnitude of thier losses...

               the stories of auto related... no pay... no pay .. no
               pay.... "guess i'll get a lawyer"... settlement amount
               suddenly doubles...... ...... .. my recomendation.. (for
               what it's worth)   STAY AWAY for ALLSTATE.. and GIECO...
               Good prices... NO PAYOUT! >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Well, here is the poster who has had satisfactory service from Allstate, just
to let you know that there are some.  We have had Allstate ins. on our daily
drivers for many years.  In the last three years, my son has had three
accidents in his '96 Mitsubishi Eclipse, the last one totalled it.  (No one
was seriously injured in any of the accidents, thank God!)  In the first one,
both vehicles were insured by Allstate.  He drove the car to an Allstate
approved shop and picked it up when it was finished.  No deductible was
charged.  The only hassle was talking to the adjuster to fill out the forms
on the phone.  Three weeks after the accident, you would have never thought
it happened.

Second accident was a hit and run when he was parked at college.  It musta
been a truck that backed into and over the hood.  It crumpled everything.  He
did a police report, but they said they would never catch anybody.  Back to
the same shop, paid the $500 deductible and picked the car up, good as new.

Third accident was a few months ago.  He turned left in front of an oncoming
Jeep who was going faster than my son realized.  Questionable as to who was
more at fault on that one, but I would put the majority of the blame on my
son.  Allstate didn't seem to care.  They gave us a value, we objected a
little, so they gave us a little more.  We settled on that amount and they
paid off the loan, except for the $500 deductible.

I found them to be fair, and I can't expect more than that from a big
company.  Each time, my son had a rental car that was covered by Allstate for
up to 30 days.  The last one took longer because Allstate didn't get to look
at the car in a reasonable amount of time.  They gave us an additional 2
weeks on the rental because it was their fault.

If you are looking for an insurance company that you can put one over on, and
get more than your car is worth, forget it.  They have more experience than
you and you won't get away with it.  Play fair, and expect your insurance
company to play fair, and you won't be dissapointed.

No, I don't work for Allstate, but they have been fair with me.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport