Re: bypass tube on head

To: <RBHouston@aol.com>, <grbyrns@ucdavis.edu>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: bypass tube on head
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 22:19:09 -0400
A puller fan has got to be better. I have the pusher ("thank god for the
pusherman").

I have seen a post about why (thank goodness Ron Soave is offline for a
few days - not for the reason, but for the discussion), but intuitively
it makes sense. Put something in front of the fan, it blocks air flow.
Unfortunately there is not enough room behind the rad to put an electric
fan. At least not in a 1500 Midget. I know, I spent hours trying to get
one to fit (Hayden 12"). Ended up in front, still would not go back tho.

Larry

>In a message dated 07/24/2000 2:49:48 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
>grbyrns@ucdavis.edu writes:
>
><< Crossflow rad, no fan on WP, pusher elec
> thermo fan on front of radiator, thermostatically controlled oil cooler. >>
>For what it's worth, the TR guys swear the fan should be a puller on the
>engine side of the radiator, or it will cut down on the airflow going
>through.  And believe me, they discussed this down to the molecular
>level...also discussing the need for the proper thermostat, and of course
>special Mercedes water, not distilled, for the radiator.
>
>RH

Larry Macy
78 Midget

Keep your top down and your chin up.