WP fan back on, results

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: WP fan back on, results
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 15:09:41 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
I couldn't get to the car parts store before closing last night, so no
header wrap.  Instead I put the 6-bladed wp fan back on.  While it isn't 102
today like it was yesterday, it is in the high 90's and the engine is
staying noticeably cooler.  I did take the time to clean up the edges of the
blades with a file and some sandpaper.  The old model airplane trick of
shaving a new 'prop' and rebalancing it.

I really don't know if it is the air being washed over the engine or the
greater efficiency of the pulling blades, but cooler is cooler.  Today at
lunch it stabilized at just over 185 deg.  I punched it a bit on the way
back to work and it still stayed below 190.

Having tried the wp fan-less experiment for the last few weeks in 90+
temperatures I conclude that it is no good for this climate.  It might work
well on the coast or with a less hopped-up motor, but for me it resulted in
an average temperature increase of about 7-10 degrees.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye