Re: bypass tube on head

To: charles christ <cfchrist@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: bypass tube on head
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 20:33:06 -0400
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Charles is right and as Ron Soave explained to me on fan possitions.  As a
pusher the air velocity through the core will all be at the tips of the
blades, very little elsewhere.  With a puller, it will pull the air through
the radiater in a laminar flow manner with much more of the tubes/fins
involved in heat transfer.  Always the need for a shroud.

My experience with a pusher fan was less than satisfactory, so I removed it
and put the WP fan back on.  When I removed the pusher, there was a ring of
pollen exactly lined up with the tips of the blades.

Paul A

FROM:   "Charles Christ", INTERNET:cfchrist at earthlink.net
TO:     spridgets, INTERNET:spridgets@autox.team.net
        Daniel 1312, INTERNET:Daniel1312@aol.com
DATE:   7/25/00 4:38 PM

Re:     Re: bypass tube on head

not true!  a fan in front of a radiator is blocking potential air from
passing through the core, and in the center where the motor is located
causes a "hot spot".  if the exact same fan is located behind the core no
space on core is obstructed and entire core is exposed to incoming air.
now this is with a fan running.  with a fan at rest (even if blades are
wind
milling at speed)  the fan motor and blades are impeding incoming air's
acess to the entire core all at one time , there is a blockage at rest
equal
to total square inches of all blades and motor housing added together.  if
you add the total blockage on an at rest electric fan assy. in a spridget
rad. i estimate it is equal to near 50% restriction of potential air flow.
with the fan rear mounted, the air has already passed through the
core(doing
it's job exchanging heat) and is meerly redirecting itself at the rear
side,
unrestricted.

chuck.
i guess a degree in automotive technology was a waste of time?