Re: bypass tube on head

To: "Robert Duquette" <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: bypass tube on head
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 19:00:18 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette at Sympatico.ca>
To: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sent: 24 July 2000 23:41

> I've always wondered if louvers in the lower rear portion of the front
> fenders ( sorry, 'wings' ) would get some of the heat out from under the
> bonnet.
>
> >I've decided to put in a blanking sleeve to improve cooling, but will
> >probably put the thermostat back this fall.  Is it really necessary to
> block
> >off the bypass port/hose when installing a blanking sleeve?
> >

> >Regards,
> >Glen Byrns
> >'59 bugeye

I put a 5 inch by 20 inch grille from a Fiat across the rear of the bonnet
to let the 'Fiat furnace' twin-cam cool down.  As you said, the gearbox
blocked off airflow so I made a new exit for the heat.  Never had the screen
mist up after that!!!!!  You could see the heat haze coming out of it.  I
also lowered the bottom of the radiator cowl so it scooped up more air from
below the front spoiler to duct through the rad.
Mike Hilton (Sprite racer, UK) put shims between the bonnet and the hinges
to lift the back of it clear of the scuttle/wings.  Improved cooling AND
ducted the air more aerodynamically(?) past the screen.