Introduction & 74 Midget Problem

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Introduction & 74 Midget Problem
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 11:24:55 -0500
Hello All,
This is my first post on this list, my name is George Cahlik, I'm from South
Texas
and I am a proud owner of a 74 Mk III Midget.  I just moved from California and
I am
hoping to get it running in proper condition so that I can drive it legally.
The car
runs beautifully, the only problem I'm having is electrical.

I'm almost certain that my prob is a wiring problem, either due to
corrosion, a mistake made when the previous owner installed the
new fuel pump, or general bad/erroneous connections.  The
problem is this:  All the lights on the rear do not function with
the exception of my driver-side parking light, and the passenger
side parking like which works intermittantly, the trunk light, and
the license plate light. Also, the blinkers do not blink in both
front and rear.  Gauges work, headlights & highbeams work.
I did some fiddling around and now the circuits associated with
the 8th fuse don't work (ie. the horn and boot light)...

I finally received my Haynes guide, strangely enough, when I
verifying my model number and trying to compare it to wiring
diagram associatd with the model, it seems that my model
resembles the UK Model Mk III (as listed in the caption) on
page 204 more than any other model listed.   I could have
made a mistake of identification for my vehicle and, unfortunately,
I didn't have pen handy to write it down (I had a flashlight in one
hand and the book in another in a parking garage while it was
raining.) but tracing all the connections and the type of
fuse box, that's how I came to this conclusion.  It has an
8 connection fuse box- according to the haynes manual, unless
I'm missing it, only the UK G-AN5-105501 Models onwards
Mk. III have this specification (I believe mine's around G-AN5-144000.)
It could be the person who had the car before me rigged it for the
newer fuel pump system, but it seems like such a pain, it seems
unlikely.  Anyways, could this be a possibility or am I just completely
out of my mind.

All the fuses are brand new.  I realise that it's probably hard
to diagnose this problem online, but some pointers, or known
trouble spots would be greatly appreciated.  If anyone knows anyone
in my area who could help me out, that would be great.

Thx.
Georges St. George
'74 Midget - Corpus Christi, Texas