Re: Real axle nuts

To: wmgilroy@lucent.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Real axle nuts
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 22:36:33 EDT
In a message dated 7/25/2000 3:08:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wmgilroy@lucent.com writes:

<<  My question
 is should I reassemble with new ny-loc nuts and lock washer or will
 regular nuts work. >>

Hey Guys:

I just returned from the Austin Healey Conclave in Indianapolis and attended
a very informative and interesting tech session on connecters.  It was
conducted by a representative of the Bowman Connector Company, manufacturer
of Bolts, nuts and washers.  He informed us that not only were ny-loc nuts
useless, but that the most ineffective product sold by the connector industry
was a lock washer. He said "you guys keep buying them, we will keep making
them."  The effective lock nuts are those that have a stamp on three if its
sides that slightly pushes in the nut so that it fits tighty on the
bolt/stud.  As far as the lock washer is concerned, he said if you load the
nut properly,  meaning get proper torque, and use a flat washer beneath both
the nut and the bolt head, the nut would not come loose.

One of the problems with the lock washer, he noted, was that it was likely to
scratch the underhead of the bolt.  In testing, when a bolt was scratched, it
frequently failed at teh point of the scratch.  There was also a wealth of
information regarding proper selection and installation of connectors, and it
was fascinating.

--David C.