New alum. radiator installed

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: New alum. radiator installed
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:23:27 -0700charset="iso-8859-1"
Well I finally quit complaining about it and did something about the heat
problem I've experienced with the bugeye.  I found a Korean made aluminum
cored/plastic top and bottom tanked radiator from some generic Korean import
at the local Pick and Pull for $50.  Its about 16.5"wide and 16.5" tall.

After cutting off the left radiator support and making up a pair of new ones
that lean the radiator toward the engine, moving the overflow tank to the
right side, and making all sorts of fittings from copper plumbing stuff, I'm
ready for today's 100+ temperatures.  Its mounted assymetrically to improve
the alignment of the upper tank outlet and the thermostat housing inlet.  I
would post more detailed instructions on the conversion but I think this
will be only of interest to the few like myself that insist on driving on
100+ degree days.

I was sorry to miss the Big Basin/SWAG trip, but the installation took all
weekend and three trips to the hardware and auto parts stores.

I plan to take a long lunch and heat it up proper before heading back into
town looking for red lights.  If I can struggle through a downtown full of
red lights and stop signs at high noon on a 100 degree day, I'll think I've
got the right set-up for everyday driving in the central valley.

Test results to follow.

Regards,
Glen Byrns
'59 bugeye