Re: Seat adjustment

To: rdrake@bfree.on.ca, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat adjustment
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:00:48 EDT
In a message dated 8/16/00 9:50:06 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rdrake@bfree.on.ca writes:

<< I'm learning about my '74 Midget. The seat adjustments - forward and back -
 seem to be frozen. Any hints for freeing them up? >>

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I did this when I got my '77 Midget.  Relatively easy fix.

Take the seats out.  Four bolts, two from the top and two from underneath (if
I remember correctly).  The seat rails will come apart after you break thru
the rust.  Two rails are attached to the seat and two are bolted to the
floor, so they cannot come apart when in place.  Wire brush all the rust off.
 Prime and paint the rails.  Apply lithium grease liberally to all sliding
points, and oil all pivots.  Reassembly is the reverse of removal.  Use all
new hardware when you put the seats back in.  Mine slide easily, but they are
always all the way back.

While you have the seats out, spray some lubricant into the recliner release.
 (I don't know if the '74's had reclining seats, but my '77 does.  They can't
recline anywhere because of the rollover bar, but they would work if they had
room!)

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget