Re: Damper replacement

To: <Mjfpjf@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Damper replacement
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:21:42 +0100charset="iso-8859-1"
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
From <Mjfpjf at aol.com>
To: <tedgomm@tedgomm.f9.co.uk>; <midgetspriteclub@listbot.com>
Sent: 16 August 2000 12:48

> Midget & Sprite Club - http://www.midgetspriteclub.com/
>
> Having made the conversion, I must recommend the tube-shock conversion.
It yields a far superior ride, especially on rough roads/streets and much
better cornering.  I used Frontline but suspect that there are others of
equal quality out there.  I rehabbed the original dampers on my Bugeye but
the Frontline tube shocks make the ride far less wiggly.  This should not be
characterized as a racing only application.  A benefit is that it is fully
reversible.  Two items that Frontline mentions are worth noting:  you need
to readjust the toe-in just a little and will need to re-route the brake
lines because the brake lines run next to the damper base and the lever pads
mount is wider than the damper base.  Simple enough move.
> martin farber

The other advantage is the reduction in wear.  If your lever arms wobble
rearwards and forwards, then your kingpins will do the same.  This will
speed up the wear in the fulcrum pin in the outer end of the wishbone.
Factoring in the cost of the reduced wear in the kingpins, I have fitted the
Frontline kit to EVERY Spridget I have owned since Tim Fenna started
producing the kits.
PS  I've only had one break!      : O
(2 weeks after somebody else kerbed the car)