Re: Miata question/air conditioning LBC

To: Larry Cogan <woodrat@spacey.net>
Subject: Re: Miata question/air conditioning LBC
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 18:26:00 -0400
Cc: Robert Duquette <RobertDuquette@Sympatico.ca>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Larry Cogan wrote:

> OK, here goes.....  My significant other has been aggrivating me about
> air conditioning one of the LBCs.  Probably she would like the 70
> Midget for that purpose (it wears a semi permanent hardtop).  What has
> undone me is in that here in central Florida one of the ads that runs
> frequently is, "we can air condition anything with an engine".  I have
> told her, despite the ads, it cant be done.  So as a compromise I will
> put it on the list....for some reason she believes that the
> "collective wisdom" of the list far exceeds mine....go figure.  Has
> anyone ever owned or even seen a Midget with AC?  Say it aint so,

Not a Midget but a 1275 powered Austin A40.
I put AC in it last summer. The car is basically a Sprite with a
permanant hardtop. (Power windows too)
I used a set up off an Austin Marina, made some minor mods to the
bracket, ran the hoses thru the steering wheel column hole on the right
hand side, mounted the evaporater under the dash and I even have a Lucas
Accessory switch panel for it.
It works, It gets really cold too.
I ran the compressor belt off what was the air pump pulley on the water
pump.
I know it should run off the crank but hey it was handy, empty, and it
works.
2 vents are all you need.
Don't say it can NOT be done. I can drop this in any Sprite in a few
hours.
It took me all day to fit it to the A40 but now I am expierienced ;)

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ